July 13, 2016
St. Henry
Fostering Communication
And they say, "The [uc]Lord[/uc] sees not;
the God of Jacob perceives not."
Understand, you senseless ones among the people...
Shall he who shaped the ear not hear?
or he who formed the eye not see?
Psalm 94:7-8, 9
After more than thirty years of parenting, I've learned a bit about communication. Coming from a family in which communication was not exactly open, it has always been a priority with me. Early in my parenting life, I spoke with a mother of teens who said, "Yes, good communication with kids was possible, but," she sighed, "it took enormous patience and time spent just hanging out, often in the wee hours, when really, you had other things you could be doing, like sleeping." For my children to communicate with me, they had to know that I would be there, willing to listen. So it is with my spiritual life. I may be tempted, like the people of Israel, to wonder if God hears me. But then the prophet reminds me how trustworthy God is. He created me, he knows me, he sees, he speaks, and yes, he listens.

- Amy Welborn

Isaiah 10:5-7, 13-16|Psalm 94:5-10, 14-15|Matthew 11:25-27

Comments

July 13, 2016 at 10:28 AM

Grateful and thankful for today's meaningful devotions.
Salina, It is always tough when someone close to you parts.
My condolences and God's grace to you.

July 14, 2016 at 10:20 PM

Thank you, Jo!

July 13, 2016 at 09:48 AM

My children are older and I am still listening! I am truly thankful that the Lord still listens to me when I talk to Him about what to say after listening to them!

Lord, I am here, trusting You are listening to my daily prayers. Thank You for Your patience with me as I continue learning to listen to You. Amen.

July 13, 2016 at 09:48 AM

Dear Faith Community...Please pray for our nephew Mike who is having Chemotherapy today. He is a young man with a young family and was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer a year ago. There has been improvement we believe because of prayers. Thank you all in advance may God Bless this faith filled community! Mary

KS
July 13, 2016 at 09:50 AM

Prayers for your nephew...may the Lord comfort him and his family.

July 13, 2016 at 09:03 AM

Thank you Amy for today's meditation...like a friends says to me when this subject is broached: "You have two ears and one mouth...use them in that proportion." :)

KS
July 13, 2016 at 09:39 AM

Jack...that's always easier said than done! :)

July 13, 2016 at 08:19 AM

Amen! :)

July 13, 2016 at 07:26 AM

Thank you, Jeanne, Pam and SE, and all LF families for your prayers yesterday. I responded individually late yesterday.

Jean, my mother-in-law responded to the sad news of her husband's passing yesterday very well, "I am glad he didn't have to suffer. I am sad and I may cry later. I want to go home too!"

Here is a prayer for Jean, "Dear Heavenly Father, our days are numbered in Your plan of long ago! I ask You to comfort Jean during this time of her grief. Your mercies never end. They are new every morning, great is thy faithfulness! Let her hope be in You and You alone! When it is time for her to come home to You, bring her to Yourself peacefully! In the mean time, let her live for You so others can see You! Amen!"

July 14, 2016 at 10:21 PM

Thank you, Jack and KS!

KS
July 13, 2016 at 09:37 AM

Salina, my prayers are with you and your family.

Jack
July 13, 2016 at 09:05 AM

Salina My condolences to you and your family. God Bless Wayne's soul...

July 13, 2016 at 07:13 AM

I agree, "it took enormous patience and time...." That's my heavenly Father to me! He "spent time just hanging out, often in the wee hours, when really," He didn't have to! He is God! He is so patient with us that His plan to send His Son to die for us is of old, since the beginning! He knew how we would reject Him, He came anyway!

It reminds me of Mother Theresa's "Anyway" prayer:

People are often unreasonable, irrational, and self-centered. Forgive them anyway.
If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives. Be kind anyway.
If you are successful, you will win some unfaithful friends and some genuine enemies. Succeed anyway.
If you are honest and sincere people may deceive you. Be honest and sincere anyway.
What you spend years creating, others could destroy overnight. Create anyway.
If you find serenity and happiness, some may be jealous. Be happy anyway.
The good you do today, will often be forgotten. Do good anyway.
Give the best you have, and it will never be enough. Give your best anyway.
In the final analysis, it is between you and God. It was never between you and them anyway.

Sometimes, I can relate to the people of Israel if God sees me or hears me because things are not going MY WAY.....

If He created me, why do I not have the perfect body?
If He knows me, why doesn't He give me what I want?
If He sees me, why doesn't He open the doors where I want to go?
If He speak to me, why doesn't He speak to my enemies too?
And if He listens, why doesn't He grant me my request?

Even with the Perfect Heavenly Father, we still reject Him! Now I know it is not if but when my children will reject me, I love them and am patiently waiting for them anyway as my Heavenly Father does with me! Amen!

Lamentations 3:22-26, "The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; His mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness. “The Lord is my portion,” says my soul, “therefore I will hope in Him.” The Lord is good to those who wait for Him, to the soul who seeks Him. It is good that one should wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord." Amen!

July 13, 2016 at 06:54 AM

Thank you Holy Father for listening. Thank you Lord for this day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Lord most of all for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Holy a Father have mercy. Amen