Catholic Bible Press
Catholic Bible Press
November 17, 2015
St. Elizabeth of Hungary
Beauty in Simplicity
But you, O [uc]Lord[/uc], are my shield;
my glory, you lift up my head!
Psalm 3:4
We regularly attend Mass at a convent of a growing order of young sisters who provide retreats, catechesis for small parishes and warm hospitality to locals who attend Mass with them. The Masses in their small chapel are careful but not fussy, simple but not plain and beautiful in a way that it is not at all self-referential or showy. The sisters chant in Latin and English, sing polyphony and traditional hymnody, and it's gorgeous. The other day, as the glowing harmonies faded into silence, I glanced around the small congregation--there were about ten of us besides the sisters--and thought, "What a shame there aren't more here to hear them sing. They must be disappointed." But then I glanced back at their content faces and realized that of course it didn't matter. They weren't singing for us. They were praising the Lord, and that was reason enough to pour out their gifts...for him.
Creator God, I praise you today through my thoughts, actions and choices.

- Amy Welborn

2 Maccabees 6:18-31|Psalm 3:2-7|Luke 19:1-10

Comments

November 17, 2015 at 07:44 PM

I know it's late during the day and I just got a chance to read Living Faith. I Thank You Lord so very much for being kind, generous and loving. As the day went on, I did some retrospect and I realized that I have so much and if it weren't for you Lord I would have nothing.Thank you God for everything in my life.

November 17, 2015 at 10:04 AM

Lord, I thank you for all the many Blessings you have bestowed upon my family. We Praise your Holy Name.

November 17, 2015 at 09:27 AM

Amen

November 17, 2015 at 08:59 AM

Thank you, Lord, for your constant presence in my life. Thank you for waking me today, and giving me another opportunity to do things better than yesterday. God of new beginnings, I offer my day to you...help me to serve you well today at every moment. Amen.

November 17, 2015 at 08:30 AM

Thank you for a good night's sleep, a new day full of rich experiences, a life filled with people I lov and who love me. No matter what events come my way, I know I have been truly blessed in this world. God is good,

Celia
November 17, 2015 at 06:55 PM

-All the time

Jack
November 17, 2015 at 11:21 AM

Thanks SE! A great "attitude of gratitude"!

November 17, 2015 at 07:08 AM

Amen! :)

November 17, 2015 at 06:20 AM

I love singing praises.....in front of my computer with the speakers turned up......as I have no singing voices!

Psalm 47
Clap your hands, all peoples!
Shout to God with loud songs of joy!
For the Lord, the Most High, is to be feared,
a great King over all the earth.
He subdued peoples under us,
and nations under our feet.
He chose our heritage for us,
the pride of Jacob whom He loves.
God has gone up with a shout,
the Lord with the sound of a trumpet.
Sing praises to God, sing praises!
Sing praises to our King, sing praises!
For God is the King of all the earth;
sing praises with a psalm!
God reigns over the nations;
God sits on His holy throne.
The princes of the peoples gather
as the people of the God of Abraham.
For the shields of the earth belong to God;
He is highly exalted!

Revelation song by Phillips, Craig & Dean

Jack
November 17, 2015 at 11:21 AM

Don't worry Salina...your voice is absolutely angelic to God's ears!!!

November 17, 2015 at 06:15 AM

Thank you Lord for my faith, my life and my family.
Thank you Lord for this beautiful morning and this time
With my granddaughter today. Thank you most of all
For your great sacrifice and the opportunity of forgiveness
And reconciliation. Amen