October 18, 2015
Twenty-Ninth Sunday in Ordinary Time
Suffering
Jesus said to them, "The cup that I drink, you will drink, and with the baptism with which I am baptized, you will be baptized."
Mark 10:39
My 10-year-old son participates in a boxing training session at a local gym once a week with other home-schooled boys. There's no actual contact, just an hour of workouts with gloves and weights and whatever else they use. It's hard. When I pick him up, he's exhausted and tells me how challenging the exercises were. But while he's telling me this, he's smiling. I don't know how the coach does it, but there's something about the fellow's manner and presentation that evidently convinces a bunch of kids that what they're suffering has value. It's amazing to me and a reminder, as well, to not shield him from Jesus' hard words. The relatively narrow context of the personal challenge of this class can point to something true on a far more important scale, and for me as well. If we can put aside comfort for a personal goal, we can surely not turn from suffering for the sake of love.

- Amy Welborn

Isaiah 53:10-11|Psalm 33:4-5, 18-20, 22|Hebrews 4:14-16|Mark 10:35-45

Comments

October 18, 2015 at 11:34 AM

Lord, please put a smile on me during my time of suffering. Thank you for being with me and for loving me. God bless us all.

October 18, 2015 at 10:32 AM

The longer I live and the more I witness and live in the glory of The Lord, the more I realize that the Holy Spirit is the hope I need to become the Christ-like person Jesus wants for me to be. Praying to the Holy Spirit and asking for the precious gifts that He will freely give is of utmost significants to live the life God is calling us to. Holy Spirit, fill the hearts, souls, and minds of all humanity and cast your holy shadow upon us all. In Jesus name we pray. Amen!!

Liz Dennis
October 18, 2015 at 03:32 PM

Thank you Erin.

October 18, 2015 at 09:41 AM

Loving Jesus help me make your love and mercy known to all I meet. Oh Holy Spirit make your Presence known to all my children and open their hearts to receive you. Father I ask this in Jesus name Amen. Have a great blessed day everyone.

October 18, 2015 at 08:44 AM

Amen! :)

Syracuse Angel Respond to comment
October 18, 2015 at 08:21 AM

Thank you Amy for your reflection!