grouplicense
grouplicense
October 6, 2015
St. Bruno, Bl. Marie-Rose Durocher
Let Go of Distractions
Martha, Martha, you are anxious and worried about many things. There is need of only one thing. Mary has chosen the better part and it will not be taken from her.
Luke 10:41-42
How many devices do you own? How many different notification beeps can you identify? As for me, I can recognize when I have a phone call, a voice mail or an e-mail. Different and distinct tones tell me when someone "likes" my social media post or responds to another or comments on my blog. Of course, I awaken to an alarm (on my phone now instead of an actual clock). I don't keep a digital calendar (mine still hangs on the wall), and I don't track my daily steps, but if I did, those would have to be added to the cacophony, wouldn't they? So many things. Sometimes we're tempted to argue with Jesus in this gospel passage. "But I'm different," we want to say. "Sure, I'm busy...but I can listen to you too, Lord. I'm sure of it. Mary. I'm definitely Mary." Until the next beep calls me, of course.
Jesus, today I turn away from those many things and listen to you alone, undistracted.

- Amy Welborn

Jonah 3:1-10|Psalm 130:1-4, 7-8|Luke 10:38-42

Comments

October 6, 2015 at 12:09 PM

Thank you Amy and everyone else for sharing your comments and thoughts. What a wonderful way to start off my morning. May God bless you all today!

October 6, 2015 at 11:19 AM

Amen

October 6, 2015 at 11:19 AM

Amen

October 6, 2015 at 11:19 AM

Amen

October 6, 2015 at 11:10 AM

I am such a Martha! I pray to be able to relax into the arms of God but I struggle. Interestingly, Jesus didn't tell Martha that she was bad or that what she was doing in the prep of the meals and caring for the household was not important. What she was doing was important, but I think what was pointed out was that she could continue this important work, but with a different awareness. Perhaps she could have been listening,supporting and being an active part of the group as she cared for them. To me this is telling me to accept who I am (a fussy mother) but to be more present and focus not on the task but the reason for the task.

October 6, 2015 at 05:47 PM

I agree with you, Joan! Think of a world without Martha??? Who will do the cooking, cleaning and complaining? Lol......

October 6, 2015 at 09:38 AM

Yesterday I had a special family gathering and I spent much time and money getting ready. Like Mary I wanted to use the occasion for including the Lord in our lives and blessings.
Soon I became a Martha I got lost in the noise and chores. Lord Jesus , for the many times in my life I have done this to you..please forgive me Lord, please forgive me Amen

October 6, 2015 at 05:52 PM

Marie, it is your heart that God sees.....He knows what you were doing was enjoying the fruit of your labor for the Lord with family in the noise and chores! I don't see anything wrong with that, a Mary's heart and Martha's action!

October 6, 2015 at 09:33 AM

It seems that a good number of us are Mary "want-to-be's" in Martha bodies.
We all have so much on our plates it seems, that when we are able to carve out some quiet time, we can feel like we should be up doing something! Being retired, it is easier for me to find time, and I have gotten into the habit of sitting with my morning coffee and making that first hour or so with Our Lord.....sometimes just sitting back and pouring out my heart to Him, sometimes saying the rosary or the Chaplet of Mercy, reading all the Living Faith comments for that day, or maybe one of my reflective books. I can say from having done this for some time now, that if I do......my day seems to go much better. I'm still busy....still have the house and its endless chores....still have my hobbies......still care for a grandchild once a week.....
But if I rush right into my day without this quiet time to begin.....I find myself more easily frazzled or irritated if things go wrong, instead if finding multiple things to thank God for throughout my day and talk to Him from time to time. It is my absolute favorite time of day.

October 6, 2015 at 05:58 PM

You know how to major in the majors and minor in the minors, Patricia! When the Rock is in the jar first, you can pour a lot more sand into the jar without overflowing :-)

Jack
October 6, 2015 at 10:10 AM

Thanks Patricia!

The day does go by much better if we start with prayer, reflection, and listening to God. It sets the tone so we can deal fruitfully with all the "fuss 'n feathers" of the day!

Marie
October 6, 2015 at 09:41 AM

Me too..God bless!

October 6, 2015 at 09:17 AM

Erin, reading your comments was like reading my heart.
I struggle with the exact same thing - I get distracted and
then start thinking where I will "fit" my prayers & rosary in
each day. On the days that I start and finish first thing in
the morning, I feel joy filled. Most of the other days I keep
telling myself and the Lord when I'll get around to Him.
I hate being a consistent and predicable sinner.
And, I Love to say my prayers...if only I'd just sit and listen.
Thank you Erin for sharing your struggles that I believe
more of us can identify with. God Bless us all!

October 6, 2015 at 08:53 AM

Lord, I have no excuses. I am am open book to you. I cannot hide anything from you. So Lord, I am truly sorry. Sorry for not putting you first, not choosing you over other things to be my first priority. It seems like I am doing this more and more. I tell myself, "let me do this and then I will say my prayers." Yes, Lord, I need to be more like Mary. Please forgive me and help me. I just can't do anything without you. Lord, you are my fortress. Amen!

October 6, 2015 at 06:04 PM

Erin and Pam, Yes, me three! But you know what....may be we can put our appointments with the Lord on our calendar first, so all can see and won't fill in including me :-) I am going to give it a try....

October 6, 2015 at 08:34 AM

As the oldest of 6 children raised in a pretty typical Catholic family this was a scripture passage that took me years, decades, to understand. I was likely in my thirties. We all participated in the 'work'of family. Everybody in the had chores we were responsible for, and from my perspective as the oldest, the older you were the more 'chores' you had . . .And I could see my mom had way more than I did. It seemed to me there were always dishes to wash, laundry to fold, sibblings to help, and when we had company (which was often) many of us were gathered in our kitchen cooking, washing dishes, talking eating . .. all at once. (Well except for my brother, and father and other males) This scripture passage shocked me . . .I could not imagine myself telling my Mom, when we had company, "Sorry I can't wash any dishes or help you, I am going to go listen to this guy, our company" I was sure the result would be getting grounded or worse! . . . .. Now I sort of get it. Thank you Amy for your thoughtful message this AM. And Jeanne thank you for sharing the Benedictine perspective of Work as Prayer.

October 6, 2015 at 08:14 AM

Amen! :)

October 6, 2015 at 08:11 AM

It has been my goal for some time now to remember the Lord throughout the whole day and to retain scripture and devotions. Lord, help me to become more like Mary.

October 6, 2015 at 07:25 AM

I am a Martha. Not a type A Martha, but definitely a Martha.
God gave me my gifts. Saying yes to God is my job. Knowing God's will takes quiet time, reflective time. As a Martha, I need to schedule this time. It must go on the top of my list.
I am Grateful to St. Benedict for teaching us to make our work a prayer.

October 6, 2015 at 05:35 AM

I always appreciate your writings, Amy, because they are not only inspiring, but they touch on the real issues. This morning, I about went into a panic when I couldn't get on the internet to read "Living Faith". The first thing I did was reach for the phone to report the problem--instead of reaching for my Bible to look up the scriptures. I am a "Martha" and I am working on becoming more like "Mary".