September 2, 2015
Listening to God
I will thank you always for what you have done,
and proclaim the goodness of your name
before your faithful ones.
Psalm 52:11
There are certain stores that must surely inject some sort of aspirational virus in me at the doorway. A particular Swedish home furnishings enterprise. High-end cookware shops. Even big box hardware and lumber stores can get that buzz going in my head: "My life could look like this. It could be neater, trimmer, coolly designed, and of course, if it were all that, it would be so much better than it is now. It might even be perfect. All I need to do is have this in my house and this and..." As quickly as the aspirations surge, they crash, and a mild sort of despair tempts me as I leave the store with nothing more than a spatula. It's why I have to let God's Word, not marketing geniuses, shape my worldview. With the latter in charge, I'll never be satisfied. But letting the psalmist's prayer of gratitude take charge, I will. Always.
Loving God, in your love, I am content.

- Amy Welborn

Colossians 1:1-8|Psalm 52:10-11|Luke 4:38-44

Comments

September 2, 2015 at 09:47 PM

Yep. I needed to hear this. I am trying to unclutter and don't need to be buying anything else. Perfect timing again. Thanks Amy. God bless!

September 2, 2015 at 02:50 PM

Amen to this!

Yes, there are certain urges that leads us satisfying our own personal desires, not thinking if its really beneficial to our lives. We have to even remind ourselves the difference between our wants and needs. However, encountering that situation may lead to another realization. After we had thought that despite the satisfaction we gained from our urges, it opens up our inner self who would have said NO from prior action- contemplating that "I have gone too impulsive to buy that. I should be more practical next time." This too shall reflect on how we deal with our struggles in life. There are times that we become so worried and we want to make everything in life as if it is instant and convenient for us. There could also be times that we get envious of someone else like how prosperous or fruitful life they actually have. At times like this, we shall let God move and lead our way. Trust in Him with all our hearts that His plans will make us a better person.

September 2, 2015 at 11:23 AM

Yes same thing with me. I want this and that and what that other person has. I go into stores wanting to buy many things but end up buying very little or nothing at all. Lord, please help me to be satisfied with what I have and want more of you and your love. I especially pray for my sister and myself, we have not been getting along for a long while now, and so I continue to pray that you help us to have compassion and kindness towards each other, after all we are sisters.

Marie
September 2, 2015 at 09:30 PM

I pray for you both Tillie. God hears you and a sisters love is so special .love to you both.God bless Amen

September 2, 2015 at 10:08 AM

Gratitude turns what we have into enough!

September 2, 2015 at 09:05 AM

Dear Lord, help me to want more of You and less of the things of this world. Show me more ways to share what I have with those less fortunate, and to be content in knowing that if there is anything I truly need.....You will provide. Amen.

annabell
September 2, 2015 at 02:20 PM

September 2, 2015 at 08:45 AM

I've written this before. I try to use it as my mantra!
Thank God for all that you have.
Trust God for all that you need.
Praying for all in this Living Faith Prayer Community.
And thanking God for that privilege.
Just like Doctors Without Borders...
I look at us as Pray-ers Without Borders!!

Marie
September 2, 2015 at 09:40 PM

Love it Pam!!

September 2, 2015 at 08:27 AM

Thank you Lord for all the blessings in my life. I always try to look at my blessings when I begin to have those feelings of wanting things that we can't afford or that others have. I remember my family, even though it is not perfect, and the wonderful life that we share (ups and downs and all) and I am truly thankful for you gifts. We really do have everything that we need; God provides. Thank you Lord!

September 2, 2015 at 08:08 AM

Amen! :)

September 2, 2015 at 06:55 AM

Yep, been there and done that! That is why I am having such a hard time getting my house uncluttered for sale, I am exhausted and frustrated :-(

Matthew 6:19-21, "“Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

Thankfulness is the universal cure!

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18, "Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you."

Here is my prayer - Psalm 118:1 and repeated in 136:1, "Oh give thanks to the Lord, for You are good; for Your steadfast love endures forever!" Psalm 28:6-7, "Blessed be the Lord! For You have heard the voice of my pleas for mercy. The Lord is my strength and my shield; in You my heart trusts, and I am helped; my heart exults, and with my song I give thanks to You." Amen!

You are Good by Kari Jobe https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mol9SiX3jEY

September 2, 2015 at 06:38 AM

Thank you Loed for this lesson. I would like the Lord in my life more and less of this society that tries to tell us that we need more stuff. We all need more faith. Amen

September 2, 2015 at 06:07 AM

Thank you for this devotion. It is a great reminder that I am not meant to want what is in this world more that I want all things godly. Blessings to you today!

September 2, 2015 at 05:15 AM

Often times when I am in stores, I find myself in a similar state of mind. If I leave having bought something that I do not need, I end up with more clutter and waste that I didn't want in the first place! So too, it is with allowing so much distraction in my daily life to lure me away from my true purpose. I end up with useless clutter which results in unnecessary anxiety! Peace alludes me which is what I truly need. Loving God, help me today in my workplace to focus on your love for me which in turn, will help me bring love to all with whom I come into contact. Focusing on you, will keep me from being distracted by clutter!

September 2, 2015 at 04:54 AM

I too find that the same problem of going into these places looking for something I might need in my home. I too
end up leaving with just a spatula or nothing.
I ask God to help me with an issue I'm dealing with a sibling
who physically abused me when I was young and since we have become adults continues to think I owe her something. The only thing I owe her is my love and compassion. Lord help me today to be strong!!! Amen.

Jack
September 2, 2015 at 09:03 AM

Thank you Salina! The only real knowledge and insight we have is of God and from God!

September 2, 2015 at 08:27 AM

Bonnie, I am so sorry for your situation with your sibling :-( It reminds me of Proverbs 9:7-9, "Whoever corrects a scoffer gets himself abuse, and he who reproves a wicked man incurs injury. Do not reprove a scoffer, or he will hate you; reprove a wise man, and he will love you. Give instruction to a wise man, and he will be still wiser; teach a righteous man, and he will increase in learning. The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and the knowledge of the Holy One is insight."

Lord, we are fools for Christ's sake, but we are wise in Christ. We are weak, but You are strong! You are held in honor, but we in disrepute. I lift up Bonnie in Your presence as You walk with her in Truth and Love, Amen!