August 31, 2015
Being Open to the Good News
They rose up, drove him out of the town, and led him to the brow of the hill on which their town had been built, to hurl him down headlong. But he passed through the midst of them and went away.
Luke 4:29-30
Sometimes you just don't want to deal with it. A bill arrives in the mail. A big one, maybe. And so, just for now, we set it aside. [i]I'll deal with that later[/i], we think. Or an e-mail pops up that we know concerns a difficult issue or something annoying like a plea to volunteer at the concession stand. [i]Not now. Later.[/i] I allow myself to enter into those little fantasy worlds myself sometimes, delaying the inevitable, attempting to deny reality. Jesus' listeners weren't closed to bad news--they were closed to Good News, but for the same reason, they felt threatened. Their response? To close themselves up, deny the reality of God's promise and literally try to push him away.
Lord Jesus, may I never be closed to your Good News.

- Amy Welborn

1 Thessalonians 4:13-18|Psalm 96:1, 3-5, 11-13|Luke 4:16-30

Comments

August 31, 2015 at 10:35 AM

Lord Jesus, these are difficult days for all of us . I pray for all our intentions knowing You are faithful and never abandon us !
Thank you for Your great love and care.Teach me to be "silent" and to "listen " Amen God bless you all. Amen

August 31, 2015 at 10:07 AM

Oh Lord, be with all those I know and love and help them to accept and be able to handle all the things in this life that are difficult without losing hope. Instead, let them grow in their love and knowledge of you as they go through these trials. Open the hearts, souls, and minds of the entire human family. We all need you so desperately.

August 31, 2015 at 10:06 AM

How would you like the good news to be bad news and the bad news to be good news! Confused? I am too! Let's walk this through...I am thinking if someone tells me they are calling off their wedding. Is that bad news or good news? It depends....are they really ready and good for each other and for marriage? If they are not, then it is good news! But if they are, they wouldn't be calling off the wedding! See what I am saying? In God's economy, there is no bad news! It may look bad to my human eyes and ears though.

"has ears to hear, let him hear" was spoken by Jesus in Scripture and mentioned five times in Matthew 11:15, Mark 4:9, 23 and Luke 8:8 and 14:35.

So why can't I hear sometimes? I think it is because "Listen" and "Silent" have the same letters in these two words. When I am not silent in my heart, I can't hear or listen.

"O Lord, my heart is not lifted up; my eyes are not raised too high; I do not occupy myself with things too great and too marvelous for me. But I have calmed and quieted my soul," (Psalm 131:1-2) Will You come into my heart? So I will be still and know that You are God! You will be exalted among the nations and all the earth :-) Amen!

August 31, 2015 at 08:59 AM

Thanks for all the tremendous prayers on this forum today...Jesus is the same yesterday, today, and forever!

annabell
August 31, 2015 at 09:52 AM

August 31, 2015 at 08:55 AM

My faith is stronger than my fear!!!!
please god, hold my hands tight and don't let go and keep me safe & healthy where ever I go.

August 31, 2015 at 08:34 AM

Lord Jesus, give me the strength and the trust to know and accept Your will, confident that if You lead me to it, You will bring me through it. Lessen my fear, strengthen my faith, and guide me in all things. Your mercy and forgiveness are all I need. Amen.

August 31, 2015 at 08:19 AM

Lord, help me to face the challenges in life remembering that you bless those you love with challenges to make them stronger. You will not lead us to something that we cannot handle. Though it is hard to remember sometimes, I know I will always find strength in You!!

August 31, 2015 at 08:12 AM

Thank you for reminding me to listen and do the next right thing. literally, we have received a few big bills that it would be nice to delay paying--set aside for awhile! Today I am praying for those with overwhelming days and facing other difficulties. Lord, relieve me of the burden of self so that I may be present for those in need. Be with my mom as she makes decisions about her life. Thank you for allowing her to recover from her surgery so that she is able to make her own choices for the next phase of life.

August 31, 2015 at 07:48 AM

Amen. :)

August 31, 2015 at 06:32 AM

Sometimes it is hard to do the right thing.

August 31, 2015 at 06:06 AM

Lord open my eyes to see your face; open my ears to hear your voice and open my heart to love like you.
Help me through these overwhelmin g work days. Amen

Mary
August 31, 2015 at 08:17 AM

Amen!!

August 31, 2015 at 05:21 AM

Lord I pray that my ears always be open to you.
Please Lord take my fear away from me. Help me Lord