August 28, 2015
St. Augustine
Toward a Deeper Holiness
This is the will of God, your holiness...
1 Thessalonians 4:3
As my daughter frets about the course of her young adult life, I regularly point out the truth that no one's life chugs along in a planned, straight line. Most of us, in fact, admit that we never could have predicted the course of our lives. And doesn't it hold true for both what we might call the "good" and the "bad" in life (put in quotes because sometimes it's hard to evaluate which is which except in retrospect)? Who could have foreseen the wonderful outcome of such twists and turns? Who could have predicted such an unexpected sad circumstance? St. Augustine's life is a perfect example of life's unpredictable course. But what is consistent on Augustine's journey is his pursuit of truth, which, after his conversion, became the disciple's journey to deeper holiness, knowing and trusting that this was God's will for him all along.
Lord, grace me with the wisdom to discern your will in my life's journey.

- Amy Welborn

1 Thessalonians 4:1-8|Psalm 97:1-2, 5-6, 10-12|Matthew 25:1-13

Comments

August 28, 2015 at 03:51 PM

Doing the best I can each day? That is a question that I always find difficult to answer. I work hard. I try to be a loving and caring wife, mother, teacher, daughter, friend, and devoted parishioner. I sing in the church choir and try and volunteer to help out at work occasionally. It is really overwhelming at times because sometimes trying to do the right thing puts me and often my family in a bind. However, I still question am I doing what God has called me to do. Reading what Dennis wrote this morning really made a deep impression on me. I guess I just keep thinking I need to do some great act or leave my family behind and go out and feed the hungry, cloth the naked, visit the imprisoned, etc. In reality, I am doing all that each time I put money in the collection for the poor, help out a co-worker at school, tutor a child for free, take care of someone when they are sick, and make sure my family has a good dinner each night. I just plain right out do not ever feel good enough. Jesus suffered so much for me and for everyone that I don't feel I am doing enough. Knowing that what I do is already what God intends for me to be doing, gives me so much hope. Thank you Dennis for your words of wisdom.

Sabrina
August 29, 2015 at 01:40 PM

Erin,
We can be so hard on ourselves in trying to be the "perfect" giver - as a parent, employee, spouse, sibling, church member - that we forget that we can give in ALL that we do. But in doing that, you must also remember to GIVE TO YOURSELF as well - in mediation, prayer, quiet time, exercise, self care, joyful activities - whatever it is that help you to refill your spirit and energy. Don't forget that to love your neighbor as yourself, you must first LOVE YOURSELF, and that includes putting aside time for yourself! This is a lesson I have had to learn myself and still struggle with time and again. May God's grace be with us all in this endeavor.

August 28, 2015 at 03:50 PM

August 28, 2015 at 02:14 PM

What a thought provoking meditation today. Thank you, Amy.

August 28, 2015 at 10:48 AM

It still is the same understanding albeit in a country western song.
Garth Brooks song "Unanswered Prayers".
Thanking God today for all my "unanswered prayers"!
And every day!
God bless us all!

August 28, 2015 at 10:17 AM

Amen

August 28, 2015 at 09:50 AM

Amen! :)

August 28, 2015 at 09:20 AM

Praised be the Lord for His kindness, His mercy, and His faithfulness.

Turning 71 this year, and reflecting back on my life, I can now see some things I could have never seen when I was young and foolish. So much good that has come out of things gone wrong, so much love from relationships that I questioned long ago, so many lessons learned while God waited for me to return to Him, so many answers to things now that I couldn't make sense of then........it has truly been a journey.

Sometimes I ask myself: What was my purpose in life, Lord? What was your plan for me from the beginning? What was the one great thing I was supposed to accomplish in my life?
I can only conclude that we are not all meant to accomplish "great" things, but to simply live the life we've been given as best we can, and trust in God's forgiveness for the times we messed it up. "....do small things with great love....." Mother Teresa once said. I think maybe that is the way we are to grow in holiness.

Jack
August 28, 2015 at 10:21 AM

Thanks Ever-alto! Also, similarly, Therese of Lisieux did the small things of life with great love and joy...both "Theresas" have a great message for all of us this day.

August 28, 2015 at 08:54 AM

"Be still and know that I am God." St. Agustine's life's course could be seen as leading to existential breakthrough, the recognition of God's total presence which led him to express "Our hearts are restless, O Lord, until they rest in you." It seems in my humbled opinion that when we truly surrender our will to God we find that true inner peace that leads to a realization of His presence. Faith in God does not only mean belief in His existence, true faith also calls for a hopeful understanding that His will for us and others will be done. "Blessed are you who believed that what was spoken to you by the Lord will be fulfilled." Peace be with you all!

Harold
August 29, 2015 at 03:42 AM

How true! How important. And, how liberating! What an important and necessary piece to experiencing true peace, free of that pesky "restlessness". THANK YOU.

August 28, 2015 at 08:44 AM

Yes Amy. How very true. How many times have we seen God's plan and work disappointing to our prayers only to see the outcome far better for us in His answer. He knows what is best and his love for us is always faithful and trustworthy. He sees the big picture and He knows always what is best for us. Lord may your will be done...we trust you ....we love you..and thank you for whatever you will be done in our lives and in those we pray for today.Amen

August 28, 2015 at 08:42 AM

Relieve me of the bondage of self, Lord, so that I may know your will for me today. If I can help relieve the burden of just one of your children, I will be successful for this day. I pray for those who are struggling that they may have good news today, maybe in ways that they don't expect.

August 28, 2015 at 08:36 AM

Dear Lord,
Thank you lord for sending my husband, my brother, my uncle and my cousin to help me in my time of need. The Lord has truly blessed me.
I pray for my husbands aunt who has been recovering in a nursing home. May God give her the strength and confidence to know he is taking care of her. Amen!

August 28, 2015 at 07:13 AM

Blessed Mother Teresa reminded us that we were not made to be successful but to be faithful. Our call to holiness is to live out our everyday life as God intended as husband, wife, father, mother, son, daughter and friend. Let us truly discern His Will and let His Will be done not ours.

Kathy F
August 28, 2015 at 11:19 PM

Thank you for sharing such an insightful perspective. Everyone's journey is different because each of us has been given different and unique gifts. Each of us need to answer OUR call from God, not someone else's call.

annabell
August 28, 2015 at 08:24 AM

August 28, 2015 at 06:44 AM

Isaiah 5: 20-21, "Woe to those who call evil good and good evil, who put darkness for light and light for darkness, who put bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter! Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes, and shrewd in their own sight!"

Yes, how sad that we spin 'choice' into good and engage Ashley Madison for 'light'! I am dumbfounded :(

1 Corinthians 6:12, 18-20, “All things are lawful for me,” but not all things are helpful. “All things are lawful for me,” but I will not be dominated by anything.......Flee from sexual immorality. Every other sin a person commits is outside the body, but the sexually immoral person sins against his own body. Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body."

Lord, lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil and the evil one! For all glory and honor are Your forever and ever, Amen!

August 28, 2015 at 06:21 AM

Thank you for today Lord. Help me through this day.
Please help my daughter and her famy get some good news today.
I ask this in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ who is
Our true Lord and Savior. Amen

D. Brannan
August 28, 2015 at 07:30 AM

Dear Lord, I offer this prayer on behalf of and in union with that of your servant, A Sinner. Thy Will be done, Father. Amen! Trust Him!

August 28, 2015 at 06:32 AM

May the Lord's favor and wisdom be with Your Sinner's daughter today, Amen!