grouplicense
grouplicense
July 3, 2015
St. Thomas
A Glorious Truth
But Thomas said to them, "Unless I see the mark of the nails in his hands and put my finger into the nailmarks and put my hand into his side, I will not believe."
John 20:25
Doubt takes varied forms. It can be a closed-minded rejection of ideas simply because they are proposed by authority--or just someone we don't like. Our doubt may be a reflexive response defined by fear. Doubt can certainly be an expression of pride. But some doubt is indeed a response to mystery. Thomas witnessed Jesus' suffering and his terrible, demeaning execution. But now he's alive? And truly the Messiah? How? Through those wounds. That's how. The wounds of Jesus evoke mystery and perhaps even doubt, but then, paradoxically, those same wounds reveal the glorious truth to Thomas and to us. As Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI wrote of Thomas' moment: "...it shows us that every doubt can lead to an outcome brighter than any uncertainty."
Risen Jesus, in your wounds I see your living mercy and love.

- Amy Welborn

Ephesians 2:19-22|Psalm 117:1-2|John 20:24-29

Comments

July 3, 2015 at 02:13 PM

At times, when things are going well I guess, my faith and belief is so strong that I am filled with joy. But there times when I feel like Thomas, "Unless I see the mark of the nails in his hands and put my finger into the nailmarks and put my hand into his side, I will not believe". Lord forgive me for doubting instead increase my faith and belief always especially when things aren't going well and full of uncertainty. God bless us all.

July 3, 2015 at 08:40 AM

Lord Jesus, I pray this morning for strength in my faith. I've had my doubts about how things will work out, I humbly ask again for the faith to trust in your plan in everything. It is hard for us to do, let your Spirit help and comfort us Lord Jesus. Amen!

July 3, 2015 at 08:14 AM

Amen

July 3, 2015 at 07:15 AM

Loving Jesus, I offer you this coming week and pray you will walk with me and help me to help others who are suffering the pain and suffering of a young , dying mom.
Lord, give me the strength, love,and attentive care your wounds represent. Thank you and please bless all our families. Amen

Jack
July 3, 2015 at 08:28 AM

God Bless you Marie in your current condition...your posts are always "from a Mother's Heart"...you cannot trump the Love of a Mother especially our Heavenly Lady! :) Thank you for sharing!

July 3, 2015 at 06:54 AM

For some reason it is fairly easy for me to accept the mysteries of my faith. On the other hand, it is harder to apply this faith at times. I often find myself doubting others I'm my life. Can I trust that they will be there? My skepticism takes over as past experiences color experiences of the present. Gradually, I am learning to be more open and accepting. To trust that Jesus "has my back". When I do this, my perception shifts and I am more open to accept the love of others, which has always been there.

July 3, 2015 at 06:38 AM

I recall a quote from an old movie that said something like this: "If you cannot accept anything on faith, then you are doomed to a life dominated by doubt."
Lord Jesus, lessen my doubts and increase my faith.

July 3, 2015 at 06:19 AM