June 8, 2015
Joined in His Suffering
For as Christ's sufferings overflow to us, so through Christ does our encouragement also overflow.
2 Corinthians 1:5
As a consequence of some ill-considered decisions by a nine-year-old, I recently spent five hours in a hospital's emergency room. A waste of time? Perhaps, but perhaps not. Because as always, wasting time is largely a matter of perspective. Any place that I am--well, there I am, and there God is. What do I see? What can I learn? That night, it was all about suffering: a shivering woman wrapped in a blanket--there before us, there when we left; a man holding his head; a family discussing their father's collapse and health directives; a child on crutches. It was not extraordinary. You've been there. It was just life, it was this world: a place of suffering that Christ enters, and in the mystery of him suffering alongside us, we find love that overflows and a presence that transforms even the greatest pain.
Loving Christ, I join my suffering to yours. May it bear fruit of compassion.

- Amy Welborn

2 Corinthians 1:1-7|Psalm 34:2-9|Matthew 5:1-12

Comments

June 8, 2015 at 11:12 AM

As a convert, this is a concept I have trouble understanding. This devotion helped me see how my suffering can help others.

Sally
June 8, 2015 at 09:22 PM

Welcome to the Church, Tommie - I don't know how long you have been Catholic, but it is so wonderful ( I have been a Catholic now for 18 years and am still thrilled!) I believe the Church's view of suffering is one we can grow into - and gain deeper understanding year by year.

June 8, 2015 at 11:09 AM

Amen

June 8, 2015 at 07:29 AM

Thank you for reminding me that life isn't always about me. When I feel irritated with the actions of another, help me remember to pray--for the other person and for more tolerance.Maybe this is what "it's" all about!

June 8, 2015 at 07:03 AM

Amen. :)

June 8, 2015 at 06:58 AM

Thank you Lord for always sharing my joy and suffering whether in an emergency room or a church pew.Thank you for your love and your forgiveness Amen.

June 8, 2015 at 05:36 AM

Thank you Lord for always being in my life. Thank you for your many gifts and blessings. Thank you for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Amen

June 8, 2015 at 05:31 AM

Part of my job is to stay in a room without talking, when I do, I pray. It is a good time to connect with God. As any place or time is a good time to talk to God.

June 8, 2015 at 05:11 AM

"Any place that I am -- well, there I am, and there God is." What a beautiful way to speak about living in the moment. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us.

June 8, 2015 at 04:45 AM

Jesus please hear and answer my prayers. Please forgive my sins and help me to follow your ways. Amen.

LP