January 23, 2015
St. Vincent, St. Marianne Cope
Building the Kingdom of God
He appointed twelve [whom he also named apostles] that they might be with him and he might send them forth to preach...
Mark 3:14
I recently spent time in the City Museum in St. Louis. It's a multistory playground, the fruit of an extravagant, generous, even wildly creative spirit, filled with mosaics and crazy crawling spaces. What caught my attention, though, was an undulating wall constructed completely of metal restaurant steam-table bins. I thought about the men and women who made the basic materials, constructed the machines to make the bins and fashioned the bins themselves: all work far less glamorous than the artist's. But where would the artist have been without that often thankless work? Jesus' mission for us is like that: some of us celebrated and well known, but more living quietly with layers and layers of hard work and sacrifice poured out in answer to the call. The great vision and small moment are working together with the Lord to build that extravagant place called the Kingdom of God.
Jesus, thank you for all who answer your call.

- Amy Welborn

Hebrews 8:6-13|Psalm 85:8, 10-14|Mark 3:13-19

Comments

January 23, 2015 at 10:03 PM

A beautiful and powerful reflection, Amy. Thank you.

January 23, 2015 at 11:38 AM

Out of deep love, compassion and humility, we are called to do small things with great love. (Blessed Mother Teresa).

January 23, 2015 at 08:34 AM

Thank you Amy and thank you all who answered my call for prayers while I awaited test results. They were inconclusive but I am filled with hope.peace and well being which I know comes from your many prayers.
Ps.139v13 "You formed my inmost being; You knit me in my mother's womb"
I praise you, so wonderfully you made me; wonderful are your works!"
Praise and glory to you Lord ...and thank you!! Thank you all.

Annie
January 23, 2015 at 12:38 PM

May God Bless you Marie!

elise
January 23, 2015 at 09:49 AM

You're welcome Marie - I prayed that the tests would be negative and although probably not exactly what you were looking to hear, I know you are going to be just fine. Praise the Lord!

January 23, 2015 at 06:45 AM

Amen! :)

January 23, 2015 at 05:49 AM

Very well said & explained Laurie. (Response to comment link not working)

January 23, 2015 at 05:13 AM

"Together Building the Kingdom of God" is the motto of St. Joseph Church, St. Croix, USVI, where I worship. Today's devotion speaks to what happens there. So many people working tirelessly for the glory and kingdom of God! To HIM be all the glory!!