September 23, 2014
St. Pius of Pietrelcina
Feast Day of Padre Pio
My mother and my brothers are those who hear the word of God and act on it.
Luke 8:21
He's everywhere you look in Italy. Pizza parlors, shops, street corners and car windows bear the image of his bearded face. There wasn't a church in Sicily in which I wasn't greeted by his statue. St. Pius of Pietrelcina, or Padre Pio, is probably--along with St. Francis--the most popular saint in Italy. He's beloved as a mystic, as a doctor of souls, as the bearer of the wounds of Christ on his person and as one present to all, especially the poor and sick. In other words, Padre Pio is beloved as a brother of Jesus. In treasuring him, in talking to him and being moved by him, we are comforted as we're drawn in more closely to that family of unconditional love for which we yearn so deeply.
Loving Father, I pray in gratitude for brothers and sisters in Christ.

- Amy Welborn

Proverbs 21:1-6, 10-13|Psalm 119:1, 27, 30, 34-35, 44|Luke 8:19-21

Comments

September 23, 2014 at 03:33 PM

There's also a movie about Padre Pio on Netflix if you want to learn a bit more about him.

September 23, 2014 at 09:31 AM

For many years I went to Mass in an old, cold, barn in PA that would become a very large church and meeting place in honor of Padre Pio. The inspiration of those devoted people will always stay with me. It was an honor to worship with them.

September 23, 2014 at 09:10 AM

I thank for sharing this about St Padre Pio, Amy.
I am sitting on my front porch in the sun and rejoicing for my love of Jesus Christ our Lord. May he bring the light into your heart today as he has done for me. Amen!

September 23, 2014 at 07:56 AM

Sharing Jesus with others like this keeps Him alive and present in our everyday lives and Father I also thank you. Amen

I will also try and read the life of Padre Pio. Thank you Amy.

September 23, 2014 at 06:48 AM

Amen. :)

Marilyn Sabatino
September 23, 2014 at 10:06 AM

This is such an inspirational reading Thank you and praise his holy name Amen