June 25, 2014
Look Away From Temptation
Turn away my eyes from seeing what is vain;
by your way give me life.
Psalm 119:37
I stopped by yet another estate sale this morning, and as usual, it inspired me--not to collect more, but to race home and clean. The house was in sad shape, dirty and cluttered, and overflowing with boxes of stuff that probably no one had glanced at in years. After finally organizing and distributing my late father's possessions, together these experiences served as real reminders of the virtues of simplicity and spareness. But it's not just stuff, is it? I have my own temptations to spend, if not money, then time and energy, in ways that seem to give me some value but that are, I must admit, ultimately worthless. And it's a temptation--which is why I need God's grace to look away.
Lord, help me order my life in ways that will bring me lasting joy.

- Amy Welborn

2 Kings 22:8-13; 23:1-3|Psalm 119:33-37, 40|Matthew 7:15-20

Comments

June 27, 2014 at 02:29 AM

Thank you thank you thank you for this, Amy. How much more we have when we have less! Now, if I could only stop accumulating all the new digital clutter I feel insecure not holding onto! :)

June 25, 2014 at 08:59 AM

Seems like most of my life I was "building my nest" now I am on the other side and divesting. I want my home and heart to have space for things that really matter....things of The Lord . Thanks for the meditation, Amy

June 25, 2014 at 08:19 AM

I have just moved and down-sized. I have tried to stay focused on keeping only what I needed. Yes , there is a great sense of freedom ,space and tranquility in spareness and simplicity.
Lord help me to change my life , 'look away from temptation' and focus my heart on you.Have a great day everyone.

June 25, 2014 at 05:23 AM

Exactly where I am in my life..Trying to purge to free myself of things.It is difficult!

June 25, 2014 at 04:53 AM

Excellent observations Amy, I too have experienced the same. Peace Be With You

elise
June 25, 2014 at 11:01 AM

Love all your comments - I too am trying not to collect any more stuff; it feels good to have necessities and not all the trappings of materialism!