June 23, 2014
Seeing Beyond Our 'Beams'
Why do you notice the splinter in your brother's eye, but do not perceive the wooden beam in your own eye?
Matthew 7:3
In looking at other people's lives, I seem to see so much more clearly than when I look at my own. Why is that? Jesus is remarking on how easy it is to pick out the faults of others while struggling to see our own. Perhaps, after taking Jesus' words to heart, we could turn this unfortunate tendency a bit and use it to grow in holiness rather than judgment. It could be an interesting exercise. In short, how would I like to see my best friend act? If I'm tempted to do some evil, what would I tell a friend in a similar situation? I'd probably find it easy to see the good that he or she should do. Turning to myself, I might then avoid the tendency to excuse and rationalize my way into constructing yet one more huge beam.
Lord Jesus, remove the beam in my eye and help me see myself clearly, as you do.

- Amy Welborn

2 Kings 17:5-8, 13-15, 18|Psalm 60:3-5, 12-13|Matthew 7:1-5

Comments

June 23, 2014 at 08:23 AM

Lord, help me to see my faults that I may change my ways and help me to remember that you live in others and only you know their hearts Amen

June 23, 2014 at 07:20 AM

Fr.Thomas Merton has a great teaching on this subject he says that if we look at others faults and behavior as our own, (following up on the teaching of yesterdays devotion we are all one) we will gain better understanding of what it is that motivates these actions in our self and others, giving us collectively the means to remove the beam through self introspection with the knowledge that what effects one effects the whole. Just my humbled opinion.
Peace be with you all!

Harold
June 24, 2014 at 12:48 AM

Whew! Yup.

Jack
June 23, 2014 at 10:33 AM

Words to live by!

June 23, 2014 at 06:17 AM

Sometimes it is hard to see my fault in a situation where I feel like someone is doing something dishonest or disloyal. Where one's words and one's actions do not match, it is hard to trust anything -- the situation or the person. I can ask God to help me to take responsibility for my part and leave the rest up to Him. Bless the person with whom I have difficulty or disagreement, Lord. Amen.

Harold
June 24, 2014 at 12:55 AM

Whew. So true. So liberating when practiced! (I pray for strength to do it more.)

Jack
June 23, 2014 at 10:34 AM

That where it takes great honesty tripled by humility and concern for another's soul.