Living Faith - Bayard Faith Resources
Living Faith - Bayard Faith Resources
April 22, 2014
Tuesday within the Octave of Easter
Cut to the Heart
[Peter said,] "Let the whole house of Israel know for certain that God has made him both Lord and Christ, this Jesus whom you crucified."
Now when they heard this, they were cut to the heart, and they asked Peter and the other Apostles, "What are we to do, my brothers?"
Acts 2:36-37
At Pentecost the people of Israel heard that the crucified Jesus was really the Christ, and they were cut to the heart. How I know that feeling! The times I should have spoken up and didn't; the times I've turned a blind eye; the times I've injured another by my anger, my apathy, my selfishness. It's agonizing to realize the harm I've caused, the damage I've done. I am cut to the heart. But the pain and grief we feel at our own actions are gifts. They lead us to ask, "What are we to do?" This is the first step toward repentance and, through repentance, to God's forgiveness and healing.
God, grant me the grace to realize my wrongs and turn toward you.

- Anne Pushkal

Acts 2:36-41|Psalm 33:4-5, 18-20, 22|John 20:11-18

Comments

April 22, 2014 at 11:32 AM

It's so hard sometimes to forgive someone with whom you are so close, that is the hardest for me. But I must remember, if I want to be forgiven, I must forgive others and move forward with a clean slate. Thank you Jesus for helping me to forgive those closest to me.

Anne P
July 24, 2014 at 09:36 PM

Not only if you want to be forgiven, but if you want to be free. Forgiveness is a gift and a grace - pray for it!

Harold
April 22, 2014 at 11:05 PM

So true, thank you!

April 22, 2014 at 07:01 AM

Whenever I go to Mass, especially during the Easer season, I am overwhelmed by the realization that God forgives us for everything. The tough part is forgiving ourselves but I think He expects us to do that.

Anne P
July 24, 2014 at 09:39 PM

"It is tempting to stay in the place of pain because it is known." Something to think about - how hard it is to believe we are meant for happiness! Forgiving ourselves is the first step.

Harold
April 22, 2014 at 11:05 PM

Yes! Thank you!

Bonnie
April 22, 2014 at 09:54 AM

I had to learn that forgiveness is not a feeling. Sitting in pain and self pity trying to feel forgiven does not work. I have to sit in God's word. He says I am forgiven so I am. I need to accept that and go on.

Daniel
April 22, 2014 at 07:58 AM

I agree, in fact Jesus call to forgive others and love them as we love our self implies we forgive ourselves, for how can we love and forgive others when we do not do the same for ourself, there must be acceptance of the truth that is forgiveness in order for us all to grow spiritually. Just my humbled opinion.
Peace be with you all!

Amy
April 22, 2014 at 07:55 AM

And if we don't forgive ourselves, then we are held back from being the best version of ourselves. He has forgiven us, so why can't we give ourselves that same gift? It is tempting to stay in that place of pain because it is known. But He invites us to step into the unknown with His love.